ALA Governing Council Meeting (Manila, 26 November 2004)
The Governing Council met on 26 November 2004 at the Shangri-La Hotel, Makati, Manila, Philippines in conjunction with the 25th Anniversary Special Commemorative Session. There was strong participation from member countries, with seven National Chapters represented: Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
The main items on the agenda were the details of the next General Assembly to be held in Thailand, the proposal to establish a new Standing Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and the date and place of the next Governing Council Meeting in Vietnam. It was decided that the 9th General Assembly would be held from 22 to 26 November 2006 in Bangkok, Thailand. It was also decided that the theme will be Challenge of Globalisation to Legal Services. The workshop topics are as follows:
1. Class and Public Interest Litigation
2. Legal Education in ASEAN in the 21st Century
3. WTO and Regional Trade Liberalisation: Implications for ASEAN
4. Alternative Dispute Resolution in ASEAN
5. Protection of Victims, particularly Women and Children, Against Domestic Violence, Sexual Offences and Human Trafficking
The 6 Standing Committees of the ASEAN Law Association did not meet due to lack of time but the Governing Council approved the establishment of a new Standing Committee on ADR to be chaired by Vietnam.